Monday, May 20, 2013

Four Corners USA

The Four Corners Monument is a place I've always wanted to visit. The thought of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona at the same time seemed very exciting. I've always thought these four states are particularly cool states, so their intersection must make up one awesome mega center where anything could happen, or something.

I will maintain my optimism because that's just how I roll and also because I do still think this place is cool. However, others might disagree and find the stump in the ground to be a waste of 150 miles in the direction of nowhere. I will counter to those disappointed tourists that the site is at least more exciting than when it was originally established in 1912 and was actually just a survey stump. The site has been updated (minimally) several times since and now is a much fancier survey marker and flags! More importantly, the site also represents the boundaries for the Navajo Nation and the Ute Indian Tribe. 

All in all, I'd say the stop was a success. My dreams were fulfilled and I was in four places at once.

ALERT: MOST of Arizona does not recognize Daylight Saving Time. The American part does not but the Navajo Nation, both parts of which we drove through, does. This is always so confusing! I should have learned my lesson in March (the 12th - just TWO days after the time changed - in MOST places) when I scheduled a phone call to Chicago from my layover in Pheonix - terrible idea. I still don't know if I was on time or not for the call. Anyway, the time definitely changed here as we officially crossed into Colorado and Mountain Time heading to our next destination.

Note: Sorry for the flashing Utah and Colorado border. And you people in Utah are doing just fine minding your own business.



No comments:

Post a Comment