Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Colorado, cont.

Although my visits to Colorado are frequently to the Denver Airport for layovers, I've actually been visiting the state itself since I was little. Last summer I was lucky enough to spend a week in Boulder for a conference! It reminded me a lot of Eugene with all the college hype and outdoor peeps. This year I got to know Fort Collins.

On the haul from SW to NE CO we made sure to detour through Denver. We didn't get out of the car or anything but we liked what we saw anyway. We arrived to Fort Collins just in time for dinner at my godmother's house and reveled in a delicious meal after a week of camping and car snacks that were getting old. Old in every sense of the word. We slept like a pair of food drunk babes in an adorable guest room.

We had decided to stay an extra night in CO to regroup for the rest of the trip. The stops are now much fewer and further in between and we still have a lot of driving ahead of us. 500 miles to Omaha, 500 to Chicago, 500 to Toronto and one last 500 to New York, New York! (roughly) The car is doin' pretty good, I mean it's still running, so I'm thinking we'll make it! 

We spent our last day in the West leisurely at Rocky Mountain National Park. The mountains were still capped with snow and we even saw some falling at the highest point of our drive. We walked around Sprague Lake and made friends with some fellow ducks and later ran into a gang of elk who didn't seem to mind us at all. The short visit was a nice touch to end our western excursion.

We headed to Old Town Fort Collins to sample the local New Belgium and Odell brews followed another fulfilling dinner. We snoozed another night just and prepared for a big day of driving east.









No comments:

Post a Comment